Answered By: Margaret Burri
Last Updated: Mar 21, 2019     Views: 3261

Yes, you may, in certain places and with some restrictions. These guidelines apply to MSEL, BLC, and the HUT.

The Sheridan Libraries food and drink policy is intended to provide an environment respectful of all users' study needs; to preserve library collections and equipment; and to maintain the overall cleanliness, longevity, and comfort of library furnishings.

The following policies apply:

  • Covered drinks and snacks are permitted EXCEPT in designated areas (see below).
  • Users must avoid consuming items that create messes or disrupt others.
  • Users whose food disrupts others, for example with noise or strong odors, will be asked to enjoy it outside the security perimeters. Report users with disruptive food to a security guard.
  • All library users are expected to act responsibly and courteously by disposing of trash and recyclables in the bins provided, and by cleaning up spills and crumbs. Cleaning supplies for small spills are available at the MSEL Service Desk. Major spills should be reported to the nearest security desk as soon as possible.

Exceptions to this policy are the areas listed below with their RESTRICTIONS:

  • No food or drink
    • Special Collections Reading Room
  • Covered drinks but NO food
    • BLC Quiet Reading Room (Q-Level)
    • BLC Large Rooms (2030, 2040, 4040, 5015, 5017)
    • BLC Macksey (exceptions for light food may be granted for special events; absolutely no hot food permitted)
    • MSEL Electronic Resource Center (M-Level)
    • MSEL Quiet Reading Room (M-Level)
    • MSEL Digitization Unit (A- Level)
    • MSEL AV viewing rooms (A-Level)
    • MSEL D-Level (entire floor)


Regarding Requests for a Microwave

The library is unable to provide a microwave for student use for several reasons:

  • Improper microwave use presents a fire hazard
  • The potential for additional messes and pest issues is beyond our capacity to manage
  • The Brody Café is responsible for the safety of all food handled in that space, and can not legally provide heating of non-café supplied food for students

Comments (1)

  1. For areas that are not listed, can i have uncovered drinks and food?

    Drinks must always be covered, regardless of location. Food is fine except in the restricted areas.
    by on Jun 26, 2019.

Related Topics

Contact Us

Call us: 410-516-8335
Text us: 410-692-8874
Email us: