Q. What services are available for persons with disabilities?
Answered By: Sue Vazakas Last Updated: Mar 18, 2020 Views: 1419
- MSEL’s floors
, from highest to lowest, are called Q level (for “Quadrangle”), M level (Main), and A, B, C, and D levels. Between Q and M levels is the mezzanine where the Charles Street entrance is located.
- BLC’s floors
, from highest to lowest, are called Q level (which has an entrance from the Quad that leads into the Café), M level, A level), B level, and C level. (D level is the Mechanical Room and not open to patrons. )
Call one of the guard's desks from one of the campus phones on MSEL levels M, A, or C. (There are no campus phones in the BLC. )
Guard's desks phone numbers:
MSEL M level: 6-4814
BLC Q level: 6-5862
BLC B level: 6-5861
- Fire alarms throughout the buildings flash for patrons who are hard of hearing
- Patrons using wheelchairs are asked to let guards know when they are in the building so that they may be assisted during an emergency evacuation
For information about disability services at the university, please contact the Office of Student Disability Services.
The Charles Street entrance has an elevator located in the alcove, which has stops on Q Level and M (Main) Level.
- Eisenhower has Braille labels for bathrooms, evacuation signs and at entrances .
- BLC has Braille labels for bathrooms, and rooms have raised room numbers with Braille beneath.
Computer Desks and Study Desks
- Study desks
are on Eisenhower’s M level, on both sides of the glass enclosure
- Group Study Room
- Wheelchair-accessible group study rooms are on C level (MSEL) next to the copy room, and all study rooms in the BLC.
- On M level next to the Information Desk, and in the Electronic Resource Center
- To use seated computer workstations, ask for a login at the Circulation desk between 8am - 8pm
- The Charles Street entrance has an elevator located in the alcove, which has stops on Q Level and M (Main) Level.
- The main elevator goes between M and D levels.
- The main elevator in the BLC goes between Q and C levels
On Eisenhower’s A level in the Audiovisual (AV) Center
- Viewing/Listening Station
- AV has an accessible-height viewing/listening workstation
- All areas of AV have lights that are adjustable with dimmers
- Over 4,000 AV items are closed- captioned or have English subtitles; they are all in the library’s catalog
- An OPAL portable handheld video magnifier is available for use in AV, on A level
- The Smart View Xtend text enlarger allows you to select text sizes and text/background color combinations while enlarging the text. Located in the first cubicle, on the right, behind the computers
- A Kensington Expert Mouse (trackball) is available for use in AV on A level
Elsewhere within Eisenhower:
- All copier/printers in M and C MSEL print rooms and in the BLC B Level print room can scan documents. There are also two scanners for converting a written document into an electronic file in the GIS and Data Services Library on A level.
– ZoomText 10 is installed on all public PC's. The PC on Eisenhower's M Level next to the information desk also has a ZoomText large-print keyboard. ZoomText is both a magnifier and a screen reader. The screen reader requires headphones, which can be obtained from the Audiovisual Center on A level.
J Card/Copy Card Value Stations (“PHIL” machine)
- BLC’s Print Room (#4030) on B level is at wheelchair height
Lockers are available for patrons with special needs. Please ask at Facilities and Support Services at the north end of A-level, Monday-Friday, 8AM-4PM.
- Q level (both buildings)
- M (both buildings)
- A (Eisenhower only)
- B (BLC only)
- C level (both buildings)
- The Service Desk on MSEL M level, has an area that is at wheelchair height
- Retrieving Materials
- Onsite requests for stacks materials may be made at the Service Desk or the Information Desk on M-Level
- Document Delivery
- Books and articles will be delivered to Homewood offices or sent electronically to personal computers. Please call or e-mail Interlibrary Loan (email@example.com; 410-516-8910) to request service.
Telephones at Wheelchair Height
- (There is no public phone in the building)
- Campus-only phones at wheelchair height are on Eisenhower M, A and C levels
Water Fountains at Wheelchair Height
- Q, M, A, and C
- BLC – all floors